5 + Tips on How to Write Powerful Copy
by Bethany Good | May 3, 2022
A short and sweet list of tips on how to write a great post.
Writing powerful copy isn’t easy, but it can be done. Read on to learn more about writing copy that sells.
1. The purpose of the first sentence is to hook the reader
You want to start off your post by grabbing the attention of your audience. The goal is to give your reader a reason to invest their time and energy into your writing. You want to make things interesting and engaging. It can be done by using a few different types of hooks, which are a question, quote, statistic, or anecdote.
2. Clarity and simplicity are essential.
One of the biggest reasons that potential customers leave your page is that your product’s benefits aren’t clear. Strive to write clearly and concisely.
What is simple copy?
- It speaks plainly and directly.
- It says what it means to say.
- State your ideas clearly. No meandering around.
- Think of your audience. Don’t use specific industry jargon and/or acronyms.
3. Write as if you are in a conversation with your audience.
People prefer conversations rather than lectures. Lectures talk down to your audience, while conversations speak with them on the same level. Think about what kinds of things you would say to a friend or family member. How would you describe things? How would you convince someone to join you for some ice cream? But the trick with this tip is to avoid using too much slang. This can easily date your post, or make you seem like you’re trying too hard.
Make your copy engaging
4. Make your copy engaging
- Appeal to the reader by establishing your credibility. Your writing shows you can be trusted, and are an authority.
- Appeal to reader emotions. Make them laugh, cry, or be spurred to action.
- Appeal to the reader’s logical side. Present the data and statistics that show you have proven your idea.
- Appeal to the reader’s sense of time. Show that now is the time to act.
5. Write to sell
One of the most important aspects of copywriting is selling. You want people to buy your product or service. When writing, think about the needs of your audience. Who are you writing to? What problems do they have?
- Get to know your audience.
- Figure out what they need.
- Write to connect with them and solve their problems.
Bonus: Know when to stop
How do you know when to stop?
- When you’re only writing to meet word counts.
- When you’ve said all you need to say.
- When your writing is tight and direct.
Now you have a few tips on how to write great copy. Let us know how you reach your audience in the comments!
Brand Marketing and Content Statistics for 2022:
46% of businesses reported they want to increase their content creation spending in 2022
74% of people become loyal to brands through content
Blogs produce 67% more leads per month
I’m passionate about writing. I believe all businesses have a passion for what they do. My job is to share your passion with the world through my writing.